For patients diagnosed with mesothelioma or asbestos-related disease, hiring an established lawyer is the first crucial step in holding companies accountable and seeking compensation for the injuries caused due to asbestos exposure.
What is Mesothelioma?
It is turbo-charged cancer expected in the UK, which is considered rare, but the disease is becoming more common. Mesothelioma is found in the internal organs of a body known as Mesothelium; it affects the lining of the lungs and the chest walls by forming a thin layer of tissues around the walls. It is so far only known to be caused by asbestos. Mesothelioma in the chest is called pleural mesothelioma, and mesothelioma in the abdomen is known as peritoneal mesothelioma. Death due to this disease occurs within 6-8 months after diagnosis.
Causes of Mesothelioma
It is so far only known to be caused by asbestos. Asbestos is an insulating material that is resistant to heat and fire. Industries using this material include the building industry, shipbuilding, household appliances manufacturing, power station, motor industry, and telephone exchanges.
There are three types of asbestos, namely brown, blurry, and white. Brown and blue asbestos are strongly linked with mesothelioma and is known to be banned in the UK since the late 1980s. While asbestos is now also considered to be harmful. The use of any asbestos was banned in 1999 in the UK.
This disease affects men more than women. Risks are higher for workers exposed to asbestos, especially in the asbestos manufacturing company, particularly in engineering or construction companies using asbestos.
Role of Mesothelioma Lawyer
Substantial compensation is entitled to a patient diagnosed with mesothelioma or any illness caused due to prolonged exposure to asbestos. Even if you are faced with emotional and medical stress, the first thing you should be doing is hiring a lawyer that is an expert in this field. Lawyers will help by providing information about the disease, finding you a good specialist, legal help, and financial support so that you can concentrate on essential things like treating and recovering from the disease.
How To Hire a Mesothelioma Lawyer
- You cannot hire any lawyer with a law degree like a criminal or a car accident lawyer. He/she should specialize in a narrow niche of personal injury law, focusing on asbestos-related lawsuits.
- The mesothelioma attorney should have expert knowledge about mesothelioma treatments, the asbestos industry, exposure to asbestos, and investigative methods to determine who is at fault.
- A mesothelioma lawyer will have the right experience and tools to help you deal with the complexities of your case and to help you win compensation for your asbestos-related illness.
- Choosing the right attorney can be challenging. Some lawyers may be very experienced in the mesothelioma field, while some may have only the knowledge about the disease, especially a newcomer. You may have concerns about the treatment process and its financial aspects. Hence, you must find the best lawyer to your advantage.
- He/she should know not just the state asbestos laws but also federal asbestos laws.
- Knowledgeable in the aspects regarding all diseases related to asbestos, including malignant mesothelioma and asbestosis.
- Attorneys should be selected based on how well they are trained to deal with families suffering from emotional distress due to the loss of their loved ones.
- The mesothelioma lawyer should be enthusiastic enough to investigate the previous company histories and lawsuits against the offender.
- A qualified law firm offers a no-obligation consultation to determine if it can handle the case successfully.
- The best way to choose a professional lawyer is through client references. To get a positive feeling about a lawyer, try to get a testimonial from the previous clients. If u get positive feedback, you are good to go!
- The best Mesopotamia lawyers offer you a no-obligation consultation or no fee at all before taking up your case. So it is recommended that you get a consultation with your prospective lawyer either through the internet or through a phone call, but it is always better to meet the lawyer in person.
Legal Options That a Patient is Entitled to:
A mesothelioma lawyer may help you with information to file a complaint or get compensated for the disease. But it is always good to know firsthand knowledge about the various options you are entitled to because most of these cases may happen outside the court, which means that you do not have to waste your precious time in going to the court and settling the case yourself instead there are ways with which you can handle the situation. Some of them are:
- Asbestos Trust Fund
Most of the companies involved with the asbestos-mesothelioma finds it hard to compensate for the lawsuits charged against them. Therefore, the asbestos trust fund is growing rapidly. To avail of this trust fund, you may not necessarily be involved with a particular asbestos company. Not all company has a trust fund reserved for patients, but they create one when they have many lawsuits against them. If you succeed in getting the trust fund, you will receive only a part of the fund as it is shared with other patients.
A settlement helps you in solving a case out of court. Usually, most of the asbestos-related complaints are settled this way since they do not want to engage with a lengthy and financially exhausting trial. If you have an experienced mesothelioma lawyer, you may end up with millions while closing the case. But some of the factors involve presenting a valid medical bill, history, age, illness, etc.
- Military Veterans Benefits
In their course of service, veterans faced with this disease are liable to apply for a VA disability and VA health care benefits. If your illness or disability is directly related to asbestos exposure, you will likely get approved for the VA disability and healthcare benefits. Even though your attorney can help you resolve the problem, you must know your way out of the problem.