Mesothelioma is life-threatening cancer that has been the cause of many deaths to people who were once exposed to asbestos. Asbestos is a group of naturally occurring minerals used extensively for commercial purposes in building materials, car manufacturing, among other applications. However, it was discovered that it was causing various health problems to the workers, and it was banned from use in the manufacturing industry.
One of the many illnesses that arose from asbestos exposure is mesothelioma cancer. It is a tumor that mainly affects the lungs, heart, and abdomen.
Since it was caused by asbestos exposure, people sought out to get justice from the industries that made them work with a toxic substance that was a health hazard. This is where the mesothelioma law firms come to help the cancer patients with the court procedures as well as in helping them cover the expensive hospital bills.
What Does a Mesothelioma Law Firm Do?
It is important to note that a mesothelioma firm doesn’t compare to other law firms you know of out there. Secondly, a patient suffering from mesothelioma cannot hire a common law firm to cater to their needs. A mesothelioma law firm is specifically for mesothelioma patients and people suffering from other asbestos exposure-related illnesses.
The main reason for seeking such law firms is because they have a clear understanding of asbestos, what it is capable of, and its effects on human beings alongside the various diseases workers working in industries using asbestos materials face. In addition, they are well acquitted with the legal procedures involved with courts, appeals, settlements, and trials.
Types of Asbestos Exposure Lawsuits
Due to the different methods of asbestos exposure, most mesothelioma law firms have come up with different lawsuits to fit everyone’s needs. First, you need to identify the source of your asbestos exposure before filing a lawsuit against the guilty.
For example, were you an employee at a company that used the asbestos material, were you an asbestos miner or did you acquire it through a family member who worked for an industry that used asbestos? Once you have cleared that part, you can proceed to the next step. The most common lawsuits that most law firms take action on include:
- Primary asbestos exposure lawsuit: This is for mesothelioma patients who have been in direct contact with asbestos at their place of work or in their occupation.
- Secondary asbestos exposure lawsuit: This applies to mesothelioma cancer patients who accidentally got exposed to asbestos fiber through clothes from the primary exposure either by skin contact or inhalation.
- Wrongful death asbestos exposure lawsuit: In the process of ailing from mesothelioma and other diseases related to asbestos exposure and death occurred, your family members can take their claims to a mesothelioma law firm to get compensation for their loss.
- Class action asbestos exposure lawsuit: This is a combined effort from people who have suffered the deadly effects of asbestos exposure. It can involve hundreds or thousands of people, depending on the numbers that have been affected.
Which is the Best Mesothelioma Law Firm for me?
It can be hard settling on the right law firm that will meet your requirements and help you get justice over the company that exposed you to asbestos and made you get sick. However, there are certain key factors you should consider.
This mainly includes:
- Experience: It is important to look for an experienced law firm that has ever worked on another mesothelioma case in the past. This means that they know what is expected of them in court, how the proceedings should be handled, and the terms and conditions the state has put in such cases.
- Knowledge: a law firm with all the knowledge about asbestos and mesothelioma cancer will do you more justice than one that barely knows enough. This kind of law firm has adequate information and resources that concern mesothelioma, which they can present in a court of law.
- Affordability: one of the other factors to consider before hiring any mesothelioma law firm is whether you can afford to pay them. However, it doesn’t happen upfront. Most mesothelioma firms work under contingency. Therefore, you should seek one that offers their services on that platform. It is important to note that you don’t need to pay the law firm any fee; instead, the law firm collects a percentage of the compensation or jury verdict amount.
- Success rate: a successful law firm has won more than one case and has a high record of settlements. This increases the chance of your case winning in court and that you will get compensation for what you have been through.
- Understanding: it is not easy to fully understand the impact of asbestos on an individual to the extent of developing life-threatening cancer. However, a law firm with all the information about mesothelioma and its effects can offer a bit of solace, knowing that they can help you get the justice you are looking for. For that to happen, they need to have enough knowledge and experience in the field.
The pain of suffering a long-life illness, especially cancer, is immense and is aggravated by the fact that it was someone who brought the curse on you. The emotional heart, the money you have to spend on medicine and hospital bills cannot all be settled by mere compensation, but it makes it a bit easier knowing that you got justice in the end. Therefore, to ensure that you get what is rightfully yours, choose a mesothelioma law firm with the above traits and deliver on the settlement.
What matters most is getting justice for those affected by the deadly asbestos mineral. However, you need to participate as much as you can in the lawsuit by providing to the lawyers the necessary information required to present to a court of law and your legal documents. On the other hand, the mesothelioma law firm needs to engage you in the trials and court proceedings as much as possible, presenting the case’s progress.